Sunday, March 28, 2010

Vegetables that do well in the Hilo area.

After a year of playing with a huge variety of seed I have come up with this list that I have had really good success with.

Broccoli, Cabbage, Asian lettuce, Boy Choy and Pak Choy, Onions, Soy beans, Lettuce, Eggplant, Carrots (4-5" variety), Tomatoes (Up-side-down planter), Herbs and Strawberries.

I have tried to grow spinach but my success rate is not very good. I think it's because spinach likes cooler temperatures. People living up in the mountains here in Hawai'i might have a better success rate. I'm trying Silver beet or Chard but I'm not keeping high hopes that my crop will be productive because I was reading that it is also a cool weather crop. (Strawberries do not do well during the Summer months. Plant them in November-December and enjoy a nice crop in March.)

It is important that you do a little research on everything to grow. Use your search engine to discover a whole new World of information!

During the hotter months you might want to plant screens of beans, melon, Squash in and around your vertical garden. The shade that these screes give will protect the more sensitive plants from burning up in the hot afternoon sun. The nice thing about planting screens like this is that you can eat them too!!! (In one of my videos on this site I show you what my screens look like.)

No comments:

Post a Comment